Monday, November 13, 2006

Slow Weekend

The Good Old Days


I have had this DVD for over a year now and can never make it past the 35 minute mark in the 4 times I have attempted to watch this. Maybe it is because I try to take it in at about 3pm on a rainy day; regardless, I end up taking a nap. The Ironic thing about that is I am not even a napper. I mean what could be better that Mapei taking another V in the Jello shot inspired kits? Those kits do give me thoughts to a day gone by when a chunk of the Old Crew met up for a ride one spring morning with two new kids... So new that they didn't know that 45 degrees was too cold for their matching short sleeve Mapei jerseys and shorts and nothign else. That would be even too hard for the Lion of Flanders. I am sure VDB would have no problems; just pop a horse tranquillizer.

Speaking of Museeuw and Tafi, I still think the last 100 meters of 1996 Paris-Roubaix is classic. Museeuw is so paranoid he is going to get jumped by Tafi or Bortolami in spite of the team's orders that he is looking over his shoulder. Maybe it was the particular drug he was on back then. Angel Dust can make one paranoid. But I honestly think "The Lion of Flanders" is quite possibly the most kick-ass nickname a rider could have bestowed upon him. Sure, there is "The Cannibal," "JaJa," "DuDu," "El Diablo," "El Pirata," "Elephantino," just to name a few.








No comments: